Activity Purpose and Objectives:
Sensory hand washing is intended for sensory pleasure, cleanliness, appetite enhancement, awakening and stimulation, reminiscence, and to re-create an environment like a luxurious restaurant or first class travel.
- 2 containers (rubber dishpans or similar, one labeled “clean” one labeled “soiled”)
- Plastic bags to line the “soiled” container
- A 2-liter plastic beverage container, (like for serving juice or ice tea)
- Optional zipper-top linen bag to keep sensory washcloths separate in the laundry
- Elite Hot Towel Warmer: (One source is Massage-tools.com)
Lemon extract, liquid hand soap (Obtain MSDS for Lemon extract, one source is Science Lab.com)
Program in Detail
- Wash your own hands before program preparation.
- Assemble materials and equipment.
- Place a plastic liner (and optional linen bag) into the “soiled container”.
- Mix in the beverage container, 2 liters of water, 2-4 tsp. of lemon extract and 2 tsp. of liquid soap.
Wet the washcloths
- Place 20 washcloths flat in the base of the “clean” rubber dishpan.
- Dampen washcloths pouring over and in between cloths the water with lemon and soap.
- Fold each washcloth in half then roll each into a cylinder shape. Squeeze each washcloth slightly to squeeze out some of the excess water onto the cloths below.
Warm the washcloths
- Warm washcloths in the UV towel warmer for at least 2 hours.
- Refill the washcloths, steps 1-7 at the times of ______, _______ and ________ for the next uses.
Test and use the washcloths
- Test the center of a washcloth to assure safe, comfortable temperatures.
- Offer a washcloth to each participant.
- Invite participants to wipe their hands and face, and take a deep breath in, to enjoy the scent of the lemon.
- Avoid touching participants hands and cloths while passing out clean cloths.
- Demonstrate to participants, using exaggerated movements.
- Ask Participants to put soiled cloths into the “soiled container”.
- Repeat washing your own hands if the soiled cloths or if you inadvertently touch dirty cloths or participants during program.
- Direct soiled cloths to laundry services for handling according to laundry procedures.
- Return equipment and materials to storage areas.
- Towel warmer must be completely emptied and shut off__________ (after dinner.)
Take cautions with heat sources, citrus or soap allergies, storage of lemon extract and observe all related infection control precautions.
©2012 RTC Recreation Therapy Consultants, www.rtcconnect.com